Sunday, September 1, 2013

How My Coffee Almost Killed Me.

One week ago today, I was on my way to the gym -- just like usual.  I had back to back clients, and in my mind, I was going over their workouts for the morning.  I had my own workout I was contemplating.  I had a rough night of sleep and was still a little groggy despite already having had some coffee.  One week ago today, I was rolling over in my mind how two doctors could have vastly differing opinions when it came to my foot health: one said my chronic compartment syndrome may have become acute -- a very dangerous condition; the other said, "infection from a bug bite," and sent me on my way for some drugs.  One week ago today I was annoyed that I would be missing The Color Run due to aforementioned compartment syndrome.  One week ago today I was looking forward to the Cape Cod vacation that was going to commence the following day.   One week ago today I stopped at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru, just as I always do, to give me that extra little something I usually require after a bad night of sleep.

One week ago today, my large iced hazelnut - extra light with skim - (a personal favorite!) tipped over on me from my cup holder as I went around a turn I always take on the way to the gym - before I ever even had a sip! - and in an effort to steady said coffee before it spilled all over me and the front of my car, I lost control of the vehicle and smashed it into a telephone pole, moving that pole by about an inch.

One week ago today my life was spared.

After smashing my car into that pole, a stupid, stupid move on my part, I stepped out of my car, called my husband, and called 9-1-1.  The very fact that I was able to step out of my car on my own was a miracle.  The fact that I was completely unharmed with the exception of a seat belt injury is practically unfathomable.  I thank God for this every day since.  More, I thank God that my daughter wasn't with me.  Or my husband.  And I thank God that my carelessness didn't end up veering in the other direction, killing or injuring an innocent passerby.

So much media attention today is spent slapping the wrists of those drivers reckless enough to text while driving.  (I have always been terrified of so much as SNEEZING while driving my car, but will admit that while stopped in traffic even I have picked up my phone to see who was texting me.)  NEVER AGAIN.  Never again will I munch on my post-workout snack from behind the wheel, no matter how hungry I may be.  Never again will I futz with my GPS when it's being annoying. Never again will I continue an argument with my precious child.  NOT FROM BEHIND THE WHEEL OF MY MOVING CAR.

One week ago today "just to be sure," I was put in a neck brace, strapped to a backboard, and placed into an ambulance so that I can be taken to the hospital for x-rays.  Scary stuff, my friends.  There, I was informed that eating and drinking while driving causes more accidents than cell phones do.  I will go a step further and say that getting behind the wheel while still wiping sand from my eyes probably wasn't my smartest move ever either.  But all in the name of exercise, right?!

I am all for early morning workouts.  I am not a religious person, or a preachy person, but I fully understand how lucky I am and for that I will always be grateful.  You've heard it before: never take each day for granted as it might be your last.  Yet somehow we all manage to do it.  I believe living a healthy lifestyle is vital to an enjoyable life.  But you need to have a life to enjoy, first.

So I beg of you: live your life.  Do what you need to do every day to try to make your life an enjoyable one.  But remember that you do not get forever on this journey.  And make each journey a CAREFUL one. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment